WE BELIEVE THAT THE LAW OF GOD IS THE ETERNAL AND UNCHANGEABLE RULE OF HIS MORAL GOVERNMENT; THAT IT IS HOLY, JUST, AND GOOD: AND THAT THE INABILITY WHICH THE SCRIPTURES ASCRIBE TO FALLEN MEN TO FULFILL ITS PRECEPTS, ARISES ENTIRELY FROM THEIR LOVE OF SIN: TO DELIVER THEM FROM WHICH, AND TO RESTORE THEM THROUGH A MEDIATOR TO UNFEIGNED OBEDIENCE TO THE HOLY LAW, IS ONE GREAT END OF THE GOSPEL, AND OF THE MEANS OF GRACE CONNECTED WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE VISIBLE CHURCH.
b. Truth never changes, just as God never changes.
b. God has revealed to us his law so we will know how to please him.
c. It is an error to the law is not needed today because Christ has paid for all our sins.
d. Old Testament saints needed the law and Christ also paid for all their sins.
e. If we do not have the law of God, we do not have the means necessary to know how to please God.
b. The law of God describes who God is and what he expects if we are to be like him.
c. The law of God is an integral part of God and cannot be separated from God.
d. To know the law of God is to understand God.
e. To keep the law of God is to be like God.
f. To break the law of God separates from God, but to keep the law is to join to God.
2. The law reveals what is holy and unholy to God.
3. The law also reveals how God will reward holiness and judge un-holiness.
2. Jesus kept the law of God during His lifetime on earth perfectly and to the very letter for and in behalf of every lost sinner that is saved by the grace of God.
3. Matthew 5:17 states, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.”
4. Luke 16:17 – “And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.”
5. Romans 4:15 – “Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.”
B. Romans 7:7 – “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.”
C. Romans 7:14 – “For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.”
D. Romans 7:22 – “For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:”
E. Galatians 3:21 – “Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.”
F. Psalms 119 – The entire Psalms speaks of the preciousness of the law of God.
2. Those words are:
2. In John 6:44, Jesus Himself has said, “No man can come to me (by and through his own power), except the Father which hath sent me draw Him…”
2. Galatians 3:19-25 declares, “Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.”
3. Joshua 24:19 – “And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.”
4. Jeremiah 13:23 – “Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.”
5. John 6:44 – “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.”
6. John 5:44 – “How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?”
b. The Spirit of God sets us free from sin and death as He uses the gospel of Jesus Christ to point out our need for the righteousness of God that is found in Him.
b. Man is not saved by keeping the law, but by Christ keeping it for them. Romans 10:4.
b. Saved people are to live for Jesus.
b. There are other organizations that preach, “baptize” people and teach the Bible, but that does not mean God gave them authority to do so.
2. Romans 10:4 – “For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.”
3. I Timothy 1:5 – “Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:”
4. Hebrews 8:10 – “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:”
5. Jude 20-21 – “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.”
6. Hebrews 12:14 – “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:”
2. I Corinthians 12:28 – “And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.”
b. People that are not members of the Lord’s church can preach the gospel, but they have no authority to do so.
c. God will always bless his word, regardless of who preaches it.
d. God has promised to be with his kind of church until the end of the age, therefore the gospel will be preserved in its pureness and completeness.
3. Ephesians 4:11-16 states, “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.”
b. No saved person will ever have an excuse for not being what God intended him to be.
c. No saved person will ever have an excuse for not helping those around him be what God intends them to be.